|Photographer A.H.Stone, Rose Hill, George Frederick Stone's residence, Adelaide Terrace, Perth, circa 1860, digital image, Collection of photographs taken by A.H. Stone during the 1860s and featuring people, buildings and scenes in Perth ; 6923B/97 Accessed 7 May 2017. http://purl.slwa.wa.gov.au/slwa_b4170453_1. [House where the assault is thought to have occurred, in 1890]|
- Anon, ‘TO-DAY'S CITY POLICE NEWS’, The Daily News, 19 May 1890, p. 3. Accessed 26 Jan 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article77286257.
- Anon, ‘NEWS AND NOTES’, The West Australian, 20 May 1890, p. 3, column 1. Accessed 7 May 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3134319 [summary and list of court cases for previous day]; Anon, ‘Assault on A Servant Girls’, The West Australian, 20 May 1890, p. 3, column 6. Accessed 26 Jan 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3134312 [In-depth report of case]
- Anon, ‘TO-DAYS CITY POLICE NEWS’, The Inquirer and Commercial News, 21 May 1890, p. 2. Accessed 26 Jan 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66930962.
- Anon, ‘ASSAULT ON A SERVANT GIRL’, Western Mail, p.6. 24 May 1890, p. 6. Accessed 26 Jan 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article32731935
The crime was committed on Thursday 15 May 1890 those charged were Martha Ellis, Sarah Jackson and John Hayes for assaulting Ellen Carey. Mr Hayes was discharged but the two girls Ellis and Jackson were fined but according to the judge if there "had been a proper institution, they would have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment,.
- Perth Police Court, Charge Books, 1853-1917, Consignment 1386, 1052, & 3146, AN 17 [source http://www.sro.wa.gov.au/archive-collection/collection/court-records]
- PERTH POLICE STATION - IAU WA A199 [source https://archive.sro.wa.gov.au/index.php/perth-police-station-au-wa-a199]
- Series S2135 - COMPLAINTS (CHARGE SHEETS) - Charge Sheets (complaints) provide a summary record of the case. They show complainant, defendant, what the defendant was charged with, the plea, outcome of the trial, fines, magistrates signature, any clerk's records, date of hearing, fines and payments. **NB These records can only be accessed at The Central Law Courts. Direct all requests to The Manager of Court Records. They are arranged by years(? But not sure if these records go back as far 1890). [source https://archive.sro.wa.gov.au/index.php/complaints-charge-sheets-s2135]
To read more about Martha Sarah Ellis click here
Edit HistoryOriginally posted on the 25 January 2017
Updated and revised on 7 May 2017