Snippets from the life of Martha Sarah Ellis.
- Ellis – her birth name.
- Lee – an alias that has yet to be fully understood (see here for more details)
- Todman – her first married name acquired on the 16th January 1892.
- Simpson – her second married name.
First names, however, are a little more complicated. Martha is referred to as having the following first names:-
- Martha Sarah was named after her mother. When her birth was registered by her mother a few days after her birth her first name was given as Martha Sarah. Martha Sarah was also the name used when her second Husband James Simpson in 1935.
- Martha was the first name used when she was baptised at 11 years of age, the year following her mother’s death.  This is also the first name she used when she got married to her first husband, Walter Todman.
- Pat – see the photo below – reason for this name? A term of endearment?
|Photographer Yeoman & Co., Studio portrait of Lincoln, Pat, and Hazel Todman with Edward Ellis, Taken about March 1908 Lurline Marshall's Private Photo Collection [T134]|
|Photographer Yeoman & Co.,, Studio portrait of Lincoln Todman 9 mths, Pat 36 ½ yrs, Hazel 4yrs, Edward 39yrs, Myrtle Sharp's Private Photo Collection currently held by Sandra Williamson [T089]|