Friday 1 February 2013

Photo 1 - An aerial shot of Westcott farm, Cornwall


I've used this photo before on my blog however I have included it as part of the "February Photo Collage Festival" because of its personal significance to my ancestral research, it is the first tangible and identifiable location of my Ebbott family in Cornwall, England.  It gives me visual, and reminds me of the narrow roads that we had to navigate to get to the property which I visited in 2012.  Although they are not particularly clear in the picture I was also fascinated by the hedges that line each side of the road dividing the farmland from the cars, and shielding the church and houses from passers-by.  

We only know the ancestors came from this particular location from the epitaph on John Ebbott (b.1751) gravestone which reads  
“TO THE MEMORY OF
JOHN EBBOTT
of Westcutt in this Parish
who finished his course May 29, 1825, aged 73 yrs
ALSO, in memory of  WILMET, his wife who departed this life
on the 2nd day of January 1845
AGED 91 YEARS” 

This is my 5th great-grandfather, it was his grandson(my 3rd great grandfather), wife and family including my 2nd great grandfather who came out to Australia in 1852.

Note:-Westcott was known as Westcutt in the 1841 Census.  The family however  were no longer living on the property, but were living in Trerimince, Tresmeer, Cornwall which looks to be quite near Terburtle, Tresmeer, Cornwall and not too far from Tremaine.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it great that we can now get these bird's eyes views of ancestral places from the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra's Ancestral Research Journal. My journey of discovery into the life and times of my Ancestors. My family history research. Visit studentresearchjournal.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message