To see my first post for the Challenge you will need to click "A firm Religious foundation"
A few observations -
The more I write the less I feel I know, there are several threads in John Ebbott's life which wind together to create an increasingly interesting story, I knew he had been heavily into the Wesleyan Church movement but I hadn't until now realised how much this was part of his Cornish heritage and perhaps mould his actions as he grew older.
This got me pondering about the evolution of religion in John's family
John’s great grandparents John Ebbott & Wilmot Baker
Their children were baptised at different churches in the same area
1. 1776 “Philip Upton the son of John Ebbet and his wife was bapized Feb 7th” (John’s grandfather)
"England, Cornwall Parish Registers,1538-2010," images, <i>FamilySearch</i> (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12042-90183-96?cc=1769414&wc=MMVH-K3Y:n789505778: accessed 01 Feb 2013), Cornwall > Tresmere> Baptisms, Marriages, Burials, 1574-1793 > image 16 of 41.
"England, Cornwall Parish Registers,1538-2010," images, <i>FamilySearch</i>(https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11082-189155-77?cc=1769414&wc=MMVH-J7C:n1849574411: accessed 01 Feb 2013), Cornwall > Egloskerry> Baptisms, Marriages, Burials, 1573-1785 > image 122 of 127
When Philip Upton Ebbott came to have his own children there doesn't seem to be a strong pull back to the traditional church and his children are baptised as Wesleyan Methodists.
John’s father grew up in a Wesleyan Methodist home in Cornwall at time when Wesleyan Methodism was sweeping Cornwall
The children of John Ebbott & Sally Bone (John's parents)
- 1840 John EBBOTT Launceston, Wesleyan Methodist father - John
- 1843 Phillip Henry EBBOTT Rilla Mill, W.M. Chapel Parents - John & Sarah
- 1846 Emma Jane EBBOTT Rilla Mill, W.M. Chapel Parents - John & Sarah
- 1850 William EBBOTT Launceston, Wesleyan Methodist Parents – John & Sarah
John was not christened in the same church as his father nor his aunt who was his father’s only sibling, or even his mother, even though they were all born in the same area.
I haven’t been able to find all of siblings of John Ebbott born 1840.
5. Julius born 13 Dec 1841 seems to have been buried 13 days later, so may not have been christened.
The last two children (I haven’t been able to locate their baptism records yet - added to my to do list.)
6. Fredrick Francis Ebbott born in Australia in the Castlemaine district, Victoria
7. Helen Harriet Ebbott born in Australia in the Castlemaine district, Victoria.
Unfortunately the scanned baptismal records for the Non-Conformist Churches in Cornwall are not freely available to check online so I have used the On-Line-Parish Clerks site to locate their christenings.