Sunday 7 June 2020

Leaning out windows

Queensland was a long drive but it was here that the family settled in 1965. John took on a new position at Comet Windmills after being dismissed from Reynold Chains in Victoria. It was time for a new start.



Everything was different, even the weather. Morning play outside for the children required beanies to guard against the crisp cool air. By lunch, Judy was swapping beanies for sun hats as the air began to warm and the humidity rose.
It was in the days before air-conditioning. The houses stood on stilts designed to catch a cool breeze during the hot and humid days. Windows were often left open to facilitate a "through breeze", to ventilate and cool the rooms within.
Judy made friends with the other wives, learning to play squash, meeting them at the gym and sharing the occasional lunch together. The kids were always with her except perhaps on the weekend when a few stolen hours could be spent alone at the shops. Life revolved mostly around meal and nap times for the children, creating a daily rhythm for life. 

One day after putting Paul down for his midday nap Judy went out to the shops leaving John in charge. Returning home, she parked the car in front of the open carport. As she got out of the car she looked up to see her baby boy leaning precariously out of the bedroom window.  He held his bottle in one hand and waved with the other. Milk dripped onto the car roof below. Oblivious to the danger he smiled delightedly.

Judy recalls keeping Paul in conversation as she moved carefully and slowly up the front stairs trying not to show too much alarm as her heart raced. Containing her panic, she made her way to his room. She chatted constantly with him, in an even voice willing him not to lean any further out the window. As soon as she was close enough, she put her arms around his chest and pulled him off the window sill.  The relief that followed was almost overwhelming.

Sepia Saturday: Using Old Images As Prompt for New Reflections – Prompt 523


14 comments:

  1. That would have been a heart stopping moment for Judy. What a change of location too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heart stopping moments make memories a bit more permenant, we seem to remember them a bit better than mumdane everyday life

      Delete
  2. Whew, that was scary. I remember as a kid wondering what it would be like to climb out our 2nd story bedroom window onto the porch roof for a view. Never tried it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I would have been breathing at that initial sight of my baby hanging out an open window! When I was older the lower edge of my bdrm window sat only 6" off the roof. I never thought to climb out there just for fun, but with cause, I was scared of fire and it was a relief to know I could climb out there and slide down to where I could jump off without too much injury if I had to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy was so impressive in keeping her head and keeping calm, when so many of us would have panicked , raced up the stairs, and shouted at Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it was her nurse training that enable her to keep her cool. I think she was so reliefed to have saved Paul I'm not sure she would have shouted at him, I'm sure John wasn't so lucky however.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sandra - Wow! You told that story so well. I had my heart in my mouth. But smiling too at Paul's delight at seeing his mother and waving the bottle at her. Hilarious! Dear Lord. Being a mother is so hard isn't it? I do wonder that mine lived to be adults when I look back. And moving to Queensland is a shock to the system. I remember my mother in law advising me not to wear a girdle (not that I ever did). She also advised me not to wear stockings and to slow down. It took me years to do just that. Slow down. (I'm very self conscious about my pale white legs so still wear stockings if I have to expose them to all and sundry; normally I just try to wear pants all the time to cover them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. I sometimes think we survive our parents and at other times I think I survive inspire of our children - it's the space between the generations that causes so much friction and similtaneously so much reward. It's hard but also rewarding.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a story! Thank goodness it ended without mishap. Here in New York City, apartment dwellers by law are provided with window guards free of charge if they have youngsters living in or visiting their home. Tragic accidents in the past resulted in this law, which has saved the lives of many toddlers as curious a Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I wonder if the building regulations have changed and made building design safer for children in Queensland now. I know in Victoria if you build a house now you have to put in safety glass. Interesting.

      Delete
  7. Wow!. But for the blink of an eye, this story could have turned out tragically different. Where was John while all this drama was unfolding? I'm glad Judy was able to save the day...and Paul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John was probably distracted, but in all fairness some young children can be like monkeys and they move so fast. One moment things are all tranquil then in the blink of eye everything has becomes topsy turvy. He probably thought he was still asleep.

      Delete
  8. What an interesting and dramatic story! Our windows usually have screens, which can be easily pushed out by the weight of a child, so shouldn't be considered security devices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - I don't think I could have remained that calm.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message