Saturday 8 February 2020

When Judy met John

Judy arrived on January 28th with 390 other passengers on the SS Monawarri. So much had happened in the 4-day journey across the Tasman from Australia to New Zealand. She had met John, eleven years her senior, an engineer and crew member. He had been so charming and attentive, so unlike the boys back home, debonair in his uniform.

Her work visa to New Zealand would allow her to work and travel freely during the year.

Photographer unknown, Together, 2 March 1858, New Zealand, [T336]
This is the beginning of their story told in their words.

John’s words are taken from letters that he wrote to Judy. His first letter to Judy was written on 1st February 1958. During this period, John was working on ships as a junior engineer, first for the Union Steamship Company on the Monowai, and then for the Adelaide Steamship Company on the Baroota. John returned to New Zealand only three times during the course of their correspondence, but on one of those occasions, they failed to meet.

Judy’s words are from her travel diary during the same period, her first entry on 28 February 1858, the last entry on the 8 March that same year.

Photographer Unknown, A romantic interlude, 2 March 1858, New Zealand [T331]
Over to Judy & John
Place: SS Monowai 1.2.1958 voice of John “I still can't figure whether it was all a dream or whether you are actually real. Either way, how wonderful. … I have to proceed very carefully now that I have run out of news else I'll make a complete fool of myself. You see my recollections of you are so vivid as to be almost painful. All of a sudden I am lonely, the future becomes important & frightening, my past crowds me & threatens me. Have you ever heard such rot? … Going around & around in my head is your comment "When we meet again it will be the same Judy & the same John" & I’m wishing for that with all my heart / till then, yours John

Place: Lake Taupo. Date: 11-2-58 voice of JudyIt was my big moment I received a much awaited letter from John that wasn’t disappointing in any way…”
Place: Auckland. Date: 16-2-58News fash [sic] I think the Monowai may be due in Auckland this week – maybe today!! … [In a different pen:] No Monowai not due in till Wednesday shall just miss it.”
SS Monowai  16.2.1958 voice of John “… Very wonderful of you to write. It was just what the doctor ordered to lift up my flagging spirits. ... I’m hoping (but shouldn’t) that none of those N.Z. he men steal your heart away though I couldn’t blame them for trying. … we don’t sail until Monday. I plan to try to get Saturday afternoon & Sunday off. I would like to get away from the ship for a while & thought maybe I could hire a car. Perhaps camp or hotel at some picturesque country place. … There are two things uppermost in my mind at the moment, one is to get clear of the ship & the other is to steal as much of your company as possible but don’t let me make a nuisance of myself.

Place: Wellington Date: 1-3-58  voice of Judy “Thought I should meet John at noon. Packed & left my quarters feeling good. Missed John at noon. Tried to ring the Monowai – failed. Finnally rang 2pm from Harbour trust office. John not on board. What despair. Wandered the streets hopefully. Really at wits end when I accidently bumped into the girls – What joy & relief –  … Decided to visit Monowai … John was relieved, delighted and amazed to see us. He had spent £2.10 in taxi fees trying to get in touch with me. He had almost given up hope. Having both calmed down somewhat we set out with the girls, hired a car and set out for Paraparaumu [?]. It was great to be altogether again. So pleasant, so satisfying. There was such a lot of news to exchange. Our cabin was small but comfortable. We have china cups & teapot once again….”
Place: Paraparaumu Date: 2-3-58 voice of Judy “... The girls prepared a salad lunch & later John & I went driving into the hills. Saw a magnificent view from a summit 2467 feet up. It was sun set & I cannot do justice to the magnificent shades [?] that were reflected in the hills. So wide, so expansive & so peacefull [sic] was the view with the sun in the background. Regrettfully [sic] we had to return. … Everything was running to schedule when we had a flat tyre just inside Wellington what a quick change. John had to be back by 8am. I am so sad to see him go. ... Walked round Wellington the rest of the day in a trance.”

Place: Wellington. Date: 3 Mar 1958 voice of John - “Just a note in case you’re feeling as I am. … I’ve been running around the shopping centre since 1 o’clock, then down to the Ferry to Nelson at 1.45. Watched it sail at 2.30. No sign of Judy. Ugh. Better run now for Monowai”

Place: S.S. Monowai. Date: 8 March 1958 voice of John - “Well, how about that? You were still in Wellington while I was down on the Ferry wharf trying to catch a glimpse of you. …Long to see you again, John.”

Place: S.S. Monowai. Date: 13 March 1958 voice of John - “This writing letters to you when you are not receiving them is a frustrating business. I feel that I’m talking to the stars you’re so remote.  … How many eons is it since you said “I’d love to”, when I asked you for a dance. Nothing half-hearted about that! And I was a gonner [sic] from that point on. …
“I’m feeling rather crushed at the moment. I have been fired from the Monowai, can there be a greater insult than this?Somehow it was most necessary for me to see you again, to make sure that I hadn't changed your mind about me. …  There was no letter waiting for me in Sydney, I wonder? … You are the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me, Judy, & your memory is about my sole asset right now.
There I go again, you see how difficult it is? Every time I sit down to write to you I forget the present & can think only of my first real view of Wellington and the exhilarating ride on a blue motor scooter that went before. Just we two alone in a restaurant with soft lights, soft music, and a pocket handkerchief sized dance floor. Sitting with you on the very top of the world, a world that was hazy and full of hidden places but all so remote. Then there was the “joint” at Lower Hutt with the record covers stuck on the wall, & the crazy music & you so gay & laughing. A rainy night, a small car, & you saying “It’s not what I expected!!! …
You see, a man can’t experience these things & expect to ever be quite the same again. And so every time I sit still these are the thoughts that come flooding in & it is a big effort to think of news that would interest you.”

Photographer unknown, Beginning their life together, 1859, Stawell, Victoria, Australia, [B092]
This was just the beginning. A spark ignited that would fuel decisions with lifelong ramifications.

1 comment:

  1. What fun that you have letters written by each that allows them to tell their own story so many years later.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message